A Forgettable Year with Some Memorable
Releases (In no particular order)
1) Coathangers - Parasite. Great
to have this band back, if only for a quick EP. Classic,
unfiltered, garage fury.
2) Walk the Plank - Cemetery Vacation.
Angry D.C. hardcore. Cannot imagine why D.C. would be a
place for volatile music right now….
3) Round Eye - Monstervision.
From the Joe Bob Briggs drops to the swirling monstrosities
of noise, this was perfect.
4) Anthrophobia - Grind. The world
is always a little better when Frank Phobia releases new
5) Hot Water Music - Light It Up.
“Show Your face” hooked me the first time I
heard it and I still have to hear it at least once a day
to help me get through.
6) Kristin Hersh - Wyatt at the Coyote.
Beautiful, heartbreaking, and endearing, this is a celebration
of Hersh’s many talents.
7) Heretic’s Fork - Greed.
Swirling waves of skull-crushing cyber grind noise-core,
and the future looks limitless for Travis Lee.
8) Warbly Jets - s/t. These four
guys from L.A. may just be what rock n’ roll needs
right now-a rock n’ roll band.
9) Ex-Optimists/Economy Island Split. Two
great bands that I pray can quit their day jobs and just
tour in 2018.
10) Cannibal Corpse - Red Before Black
10) Six Feet Under-Torment. (tie)
I cannot go a year without classic, American death metal
on my list, and it is awesome to have these bands back with
is an independently published music fanzine
covering punk, alternative, ska, techno and garage
music, focusing on New Jersey and the Tri-State
area. For the past 25 years, the Jersey Beat music
fanzine has been the authority on the latest upcoming
bands and a resource for all those interested in
rock and roll.